April 2, 2013
Risk, complexity, uncertainty, and fragility have become the norm for today’s business world. New types of risks emerge every day and global supply chain networks the require fresh thinking and execution. Understanding the dynamics of risks as well as their interactions is necessary to achieve resilience for individuals as well as companies, supply chains, and countries. As a result of global business environment megatrends that incorporate but are not limited to shorter product life cycles, transparency of information, and lessened profit margins, global competition has increased between supply chain networks, and hence the risk management capability of companies will differentiate leaders from laggards. According to the International Air Transport Association, the airline industry’s overall profit margin for the past 10 years is negative.
In such a world, a growing number of Turkish companies manage not only to be resilient but also to thrive and create exemplars in supply chain risk management to other companies worldwide. To this end, with his unique book, Çagri Haksöz contributes to the business world and advises on how to become a risk intelligent supply chain to be resilient and long-lasting. There are at least five significant points regarding this book’s originality and value that should be underlined.
- It presents a thorough discussion on risk and resilience in global supply chain networks from very different perspectives such as biological ecosystems, complexity theory, near-miss management, extreme value and game theory, operational risk, and musical improvisation and creativity.
- It introduces the risk intelligent supply chain concept for the first time to the business and academic world.
- It proposes a novel model (I-Quartet model) that aims to help business executives on the journey toward a risk intelligent supply chain.
- It acts as a pioneer, and presents unique and interesting practices and strategies from leading Turkish companies – some with dynamic conversations (a novel method in itself) to create a collegial atmosphere for thinking and learning together.
- It opens new paths for exploration, research, and field studies in supply chain risk management and risk intelligence in emerging as well as developed economies.
In short, Haksöz has written a very interesting book of lasting value by bringing his unique style of telling stories and out-of-the-box metaphorical thinking.